Gift of Closely Held Stock
Charitable Giving Strategies for the Business Owner
If you hold stock in a closely held business, you may be able to use that stock as a powerful way to support better care in your community for generations to come.
Closely held stock* is most often used to support our work in the form of an outright gift. You can make a gift of closely held stock as long as the constituting documentation for the business permits additional owners and it is debt-free. The donation of closely held stock first requires you to value the interest in the business entity.
Review this checklist to see if you may benefit from donating closely held stock. Then, consult your professional legal and tax advisors to see how to maximize the benefits of this tax-efficient strategy for making a difference.
Evaluate Whether This Gift Is Right for You:
- You are a majority shareholder in a closely held corporation.
- You would like to remove retained earnings from the corporation, without having them taxed again.
- You would like to maintain a controlling position in the corporation's outstanding stock.
- You would like to avoid capital gains taxes on the shares you donate to your favorite MultiCare program or foundation.
- You would like to receive a federal income tax deduction for the full appraised value of the gift.
- You would like to support our mission.
There are other ways to make a gift of closely held stock as part of the gift types below. To learn more, explore the links below.
- A gift in your will or living trust.
- A charitable gift annuity.
- A charitable remainder trust.
- A charitable lead trust.
* A gift of closely held stock requires special handling, so you should always consult with your legal or tax advisor first.
Free resources to help you plan
The MultiCare Foundations is proud to provide free and confidential estate planning services through Thompson & Associates for friends like you. Learn more
The MultiCare Foundations have also partnered with FreeWill to offer you a secure, online estate planning tool that can help you write your legal will—entirely free of cost. Learn more
Not sure how to begin planning?Download a free personal estate planning kit
Ready for next steps?
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor. (Need an advisor? Look here for advisors familiar with MultiCare foundations and services.)
- Contact our gift planning team at 253-403-3093 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on giving a gift of closely held stock to support your favorite MultiCare program or foundation.
- If you include a MultiCare program or foundation in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID number.
- If you have already named a MultiCare program or foundation in your plans, please let us know so that we can carry out your wishes as intended and thank you for your gift.