Make a Gift in a Few Easy Steps
Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their wills or trusts. Some prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides by using their:
- IRAs and retirement plans
- Life insurance policies
- Commercial annuities
- Bank accounts, certificates of deposit and brokerage accounts
It's as easy as 1-2-3-4 to include your favorite MultiCare foundation or program as a beneficiary.
- Start by requesting a change-of-beneficiary form from your policy administrator or download the form from their website.
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like us to receive and list our legal name and tax ID, along with the percentage you chose, on the beneficiary form.
- Return the form to your custodian to establish your gift.
- And, please let us know. Many plan administrators assume no obligation to notify non-profit organizations of your designation and won’t monitor whether your gift designations are followed. Informing us helps preserve your intentions and ensures that we are able to follow your wishes.
An Example of How It Works
Robert and Carol treasure the financial help they've been able to give their children and Mary Bridge Children's Child Abuse Intervention Department (CAID) over the years. The couple recently updated their will to leave stocks and real estate to their kids. They left the Mary Bridge Children's Foundation, for benefit of CAID, a $75,000 IRA to be transferred following their lifetime. Because the foundation is tax-exempt, the entire $75,000 will help provide care to the children supported at CAID.
If Robert and Carol had left the IRA to their children, approximately $18,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes-leaving only $57,000 for their family's use. Robert and Carol are happy knowing they are making the most of their hard-earned money thanks to their updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 24 percent marginal income tax bracket.
Learn how to fund it
You can use the following accounts to make beneficiary designation gifts:
Free resources to help you plan
The MultiCare Foundations is proud to provide free and confidential estate planning services through Thompson & Associates for friends like you. Learn more
The MultiCare Foundations have also partnered with FreeWill to offer you a secure, online estate planning tool that can help you write your legal will—entirely free of cost. Learn more
Not sure how to begin planning?Download a free personal estate planning kit
Ready for next steps?
- Talk to your financial or legal advisor to learn which assets will or will not trigger taxable income when paid to a beneficiary. (Need an advisor? Look here for advisors familiar with MultiCare foundations and services.)
- Contact our gift planning team at 253-403-3093 or email@example.com for additional information on beneficiary designations and how they can help support better care in your community well into the future.
- If you name a MultiCare program or foundation in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID number.
- If you have already named a MultiCare program or foundation in your plans, please let us know so that we can carry out your wishes as intended and thank you for your gift.