Gift of Appreciated Securities and Mutual Funds
A Tax-Savvy Way to Benefit from Growing Assets
Securities and mutual funds that have increased in value and been held for more than one year are popular assets to use when making a gift to support the causes you care about like MultiCare. Making a gift of securities or mutual funds offers you the chance to support better care in your community while realizing important benefits for yourself.
When you donate appreciated securities or mutual funds to support the MultiCare program or foundation you care about, you can reduce or even eliminate federal capital gains taxes on the transfer. You may also be entitled to a federal income tax charitable deduction based on the fair market value of the securities at the time of the transfer.
Securities are most often used to support our work in the form of:
An outright gift. When you donate securities to support a MultiCare program or foundation, you receive the same income tax savings that you would if you wrote a check, but with the added benefit of eliminating capital gains taxes on the transfer, which can be as high as 20 percent.
A transfer on death (TOD) account.* By placing a TOD designation on your brokerage or investment account, that account will be paid to one or more persons or non-profit organizations after your lifetime. The beneficiaries you name have no rights to the funds until after your lifetime. Until that time, you remain in control and are free to use the money in the account, change the beneficiary or close the account.
There are several other ways to make these donations as part of the gift types below. To learn more, explore the links below:
- A gift in your will or living trust.
- A charitable gift annuity.
- A charitable remainder trust.
- A charitable lead trust.
- A memorial gift.
- An endowed gift.
- A donor advised fund.
*State laws govern transfer on death accounts. Please consult with your bank representative or investment advisor if you are considering this gift.
Calculate your benefits
Submit a few details and see which gift is right for you.
Free resources to help you plan
The MultiCare Foundations is proud to provide free and confidential estate planning services through Thompson & Associates for friends like you. Learn more
The MultiCare Foundations have also partnered with FreeWill to offer you a secure, online estate planning tool that can help you write your legal will—entirely free of cost. Learn more
Not sure how to begin planning?Download a free personal estate planning kit
Ready for next steps?
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor. (Need an advisor? Look here for advisors familiar with MultiCare foundations and services.)
- Contact our gift planning team at 253-403-3093 or email@example.com or our Foundation Data and Integration Manager at 253-403-1521 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how to transfer stock or make a gift of mutual funds
- If you include a MultiCare program or foundation in your plans, please refer to our sample bequest language and use our legal name and federal tax ID number.
- If you have already named a MultiCare program or foundation in your plans, please let us know so that we can carry out your wishes as intended and thank you for your gift.